Mater people

You are here:

Home > News and social media > Mater Blog > November 2016 > An Australian-first: transforming how we support clinical decision making

An Australian-first: transforming how we support clinical decision making

Wednesday, 23 November 2016

An Australian-first: transforming how we support clinical decision making

Imagine it’s a Friday morning. You’re a Nurse Unit Manager of a busy Emergency Department, and you’ve just started your day. You sit down and login to an application which shows you how many patients your team cared for overnight. It shows you that there was a spike in presentations of gastroenteritis. Of those patients who presented, 90 per cent were discharged within an hour, with the remaining 10 per cent still receiving care.

It sounds simple enough, doesn’t it?

Then imagine if this same app showed you how each patient was being treated, tracked their journey through tests and procedures, and estimated their time of discharge.

You can compare all of this data to other wards within your hospital, you can view bed movements and admissions, you can see what the average length of stay and time of discharge is for patients, and see the percentage of readmissions for those patients who have been discharged.  

Imagine how you could transform the delivery of healthcare across a complex healthcare campus through the effective use of the information provided by the application. Information which is specifically designed to support evidence-based decision making within clinical areas.

AND … if you were to successfully implement and use the application, you’d be the first hospital in Australia to do so.

For Mater, we don’t have to imagine this scenario. It’s real.

My Analytics and Performance team, which was established at the start of the year, have recently launched an application which provides comprehensive analytics and performance data—which will allow Mater staff, for the first time, to look at patient flows, utilisation, capacity, supply and demand across the entire campus—and therefore support improved decision making within clinical areas across the organisation.  

Still in its early stages, the app has focused on ‘length of stay’ for inpatients, allowing our Nurse Unit Managers and key staff to visualise data around key elements such as wards, facilities and specialities. It displays discharge and admission times, benchmarking and how we compare to our peers, estimated discharge dates, and readmission rates.

As its function increases, the app will include outpatient data, theatre data, and emergency department data (so we can see much more than gastro data!). Interactive maps will also be added to demonstrate patient flow, as will data to demonstrate the resources used by hospitals, wards, and specialties and even a patient level including pathology, imaging, pharmacy, allied health medical and nursing resources.

So why do it?

It’s about improving how we deliver healthcare. It’s about improving the experience for our patients. It’s about ensuring care is relevant, efficient, effective and personalised. It’s about ensuring we remain one of Queensland’s leading healthcare providers. It’s about leading the way forward, rather than resting on our laurels. 

It’s about being Mater. An organisation which remains committed to fulfilling our Mission to deliver compassionate care to those who need it most.

Oh … and imagine if you used that gastro data to organise an update on your company’s social media channels to say that you’ve noticed an increase in presentations of gastro, and then share information with your followers about how to best prevent and manage it? Wouldn’t that be something.

Heike Magura

Director Analytics and Performance

Posted: 23/11/2016 9:24:41 AM by News @ Mater | with 0 comments

Tags: analytics, Heike Magura